Expressions of Interest: Accreditation of Test Laboratories for the Compliance Testing of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) Receivers in Accordance With the ECOWAS DTT Conformance Regime at ECOWAS Commission
Commission De La CEDEAO
Comissao Da CEDEAO
101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
Tel: (234 – 9) 314-74 27 – 9
(234 – 9) 314-74 27 – -9
Fax: (234 -9) 314-76 46
(234-9) 314-30 05
Expressions of Interest
Accreditation of Test Laboratories for the Compliance Testing of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) Receivers in Accordance With the ECOWAS DTT Conformance Regime
- The 2006 Geneva Agreement has scheduled 17th June 2015 as the deadline for suspension of analogue television for the UHF band. To enable ECOWAS Member States to take the appropriate measures to comply with this deadline, ECOWAS Commission convened various meetings to harmonize the transition from analogue digital terrestrial broadcasting process.
- In the framework of this harmonization, ECOWAS Member States adopted DVB-T2 and MPEG-4 AVC as common transmission and compression standards respectively. Furthermore, with a view to taking advantage of the economies of scale and to making Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) receivers more affordable, Member States adopted common minimum technical specifications for DTT receivers for the ECOWAS region.
- The Member States, through a roadmap, scheduled DTT transition in the ECOWAS region by 31st December 2014 and urged the ECOWAS Commission to coordinate the implementation of this roadmap with the view of adoption of a Common Test Suite for ECOWAS region and the identification of recognized certification laboratories.
- The ECOWAS Member States are carrying out a transition of television broadcasting services in the frequency bands 174230 MHz and 470862 MHz from analogue to digital technology. This document aims to identify certified laboratories for ECOWAS region to ensure that broadcasting receivers on the ECOWAS market conform to acceptable receiver’s standards and at affordable prices.
- The laboratories have to ensure that all Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) receivers sold on the ECOWAS market conform to acceptable receiver standards, and in accordance with ECOWAS objectives of the transition from Analogue to Digital Terrestrial Television, which mandates the ECOWAS Commission to take the necessary steps to protect consumers from substandard products; the ECOWAS Member States adopted standards for DTT receivers (set-top boxes, integrated digital television sets, etc.). To enforce these minimum receiver standards, a conformance regime has been instituted that shall require all Set Top Boxes (STBs) and Integrated Digital TV sets (iDTVs) sold in ECOWAS space to pass a conformance test to be certified to use a receiver certification logo (the ECOWAS logo and the Member State’s logo), which will confirm to consumers that the receiver is ECOWAS DTT compliant.
- Consequent to the implementation of a harmonized procedure in the ECOWAS space, manufacturers/distributors who wish to supply DTT receivers in ECOWAS region would have to arrange for testing of samples prior to local production/importation.
- To make this exercise possible, ECOWAS Commission, in collaboration with its Member States, has decided to accredit eligible test labs to provide standard tests on all models of Set-Top Boxes (STBs) and Integrated Digital Television sets (iDTVs), to verify that these DTT receivers conform to the Minimum Requirements Free To Air (FTA) Digital Television Receivers.
- The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible test labs to indicate their interests in providing these services. The interested test labs must provide all information supporting their qualification to perform the services:
(i.) List of staff and expertise of the Consultants for the mission;
(ii.) List of verifiable technical references similar to this mission: list of previous clients and contacts for this type of mission stating the year; the Office Address (location, contact, BP, Telephone, Fax, e-mail).
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. (GMT+1) to 5.00 p.m. (GMT+1).
Directorate of General Administration,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P. M. B. 401, Abuja Nigeria.
- Expressions of interest must be delivered in sealed envelope and clearly marked: “Accreditation of test laboratories for the compliance testing of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) receivers in accordance with the ECOWAS DTT conformance regime. Do not open except in presence of the Tender Committee”, to the address below by Thursday, June 4th, 2015 at 11.00 a.m. (GMT+1). The ECOWAS Tender Box is located in:
The Office of the Executive Assistant of the Commissioner,
General Administration & Conference,
5th Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P.M. B. 401, Abuja Nigeria.
11. This invitation for Bids is also published in the ECOWAS Website http://www.ecowas.int/doing-business-in-ecowas/ecowas-procurement/
Commissioner, General Administration & Conference
CC: Chairperson, Procurement Committee
Ag. Director, General Administration