Request for Proposal
Midline Quantitative Survey
Deadline for Proposals Responding To Full RFP: COB 17th October, 2014
BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the BBC established in 1999, the organisation seeks to reduce poverty and provide information to people around the world, through media programmes and campaigns that inspire and inform.
BBC Media Action is implementing the UK DFID funded Global Grant project, which runs across countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East and Europe where Media Action works. The DFID Global Grant project in Nigeria specifically seeks to promote governance in Nigeria through Strengthening Communication Platforms for Domestic Accountability and Public Dialogue. The project focuses on issues of accountability and participation using a variety of different formats, including radio drama in English & Pidgin (Story Story) and Hausa (Gatana Gatanan Ku), radio magazine programme in English & Pidgin (Talk Your Own), Hausa discussion programme (Mu Tattauna) and Question Time-style public meetings called “Town Hall Meetings”.
BBC Media Action Nigeria is now planning to conduct a mid-term evaluation which will be compared with baseline findings to track performance of project indicators and measure impact on audience(s).
It is against this background that your agency is invited to submit a proposal to conduct the midline research. However, this service would be required only for fieldwork and data capturing stages.
2. Research Plan
2.1 Research Objectives
The main purpose of this midline survey is to measure shifts in knowledge, perceptions and behavior of audiences in relation to key governance themes. The study will measure the success of project outputs in terms of reach and impact on knowledge, perceptions and actions taken. To do this it will aim to detect differences between those who have been exposed to BBC Media Action radio and television outputs, on such attitudinal, behavioural and knowledge measures.
2.2 Permission to Conduct Research
Agency should outline approach to seeking ethical approval. The agency will be responsible for obtaining appropriate local authority approval to conduct fieldwork in each state.
Upon commissioning, BBC Media Action will provide the agency with the survey questionnaire in English, interviewer handbook and data entry codebook. The survey instrument will consist of mainly closed questions.
The agency will be responsible for translation of the instrument and any other associated fieldwork tools (e.g. showcards) into four main local languages (Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and Pidgin). The agency will be responsible for piloting the instrument and providing feedback on the piloting process to BBC Media Action.
The agency will carry out fieldwork to a high standard within the agreed timeframe. Fieldwork will consist of face to face interviews by trained staff. Data will be collected via Pen and Paper (PAPI) or Electronic data collection approach; agency may wish to state preferred data collection approach.
2.5 Study Design
BBC Media Action proposes the use of quantitative research. The proposed sample size for this study is 4000. However this may be reviewed in line with proposed sampling strategy and costs. The target population for this work is adult males and females aged 15 years and above living in urban and rural areas of Adamawa, FCT, Kaduna, Delta, Lagos and Enugu states.
Agency is required to propose a sampling design which is expected to be proportional to each state’s population size (i.e. sampling proportional to size), random and self-weighting. The sample should be representative of the 15+ population in the six focal states.
2.6 Quality Control
The agency will include in the proposal its plan for quality control.
2.7 Data Management
With the proposal, the agency will also provide a detailed data management plan.
2.8 Project Management
The agency will provide a detailed description of the proposed project management structure and team to include project manager, supervisors, translators, interviewers (clearly detailing gender and languages spoken) and data processing.
The agency will provide specified deliverables to include but not limited to the following:
- Design of the sampling approach according to our specifications
- The sampling frame used for each level of clustered selection (where available)
- Training of fieldworkers to cover BBC Media Action briefing notes and guidelines
- Timely updates and field reports with a breakdown of interviews completed per state.
- Delivery of the first 100 cases within 5 days of the commencement of fieldwork
- Cleaned and labelled dataset in English in SPSS format – plus a syntax file to show any variables that have been derived as well as a log of data cleaning process employed.
- Topline frequencies and crosstabs for variables of interest to be communicated at a later date (where/if required).
- 2006 census data on the population sizes and demographics in Adamawa, FCT, Kaduna, Delta, Lagos and Enugu states and within urban-rural location, for the purposes of weighting.
Agency should provide a detailed timeline for the study and narrative of how you will meet agreed deadlines for the study. The fieldwork is expected to have been completed by mid-December 2014.
Agency is expected to provide a detailed budget breakdown for fieldwork and all related expenses for both options of data collection (PAPI & CAPI) in Naira.
Note: This is the first stage of the bidding process; only agencies who meet expected standards from this first stage will be contacted in the second stage.
If you are interested in responding to this RFP, please request the FULL RFP by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
First stage of proposal reviews will consider ONLY proposals that respond to full RFP.
Please note that we will expect the following documents alongside agency’s proposal:
- Agency’s certificate of incorporation.
- Last annual audit report.
- Evidence of adherence to the Nigerian tax laws.
- A summary profile outlining:
- Agency’s staff strength including a breakdown of permanent and temporary staff (both management and others). Minimum of 25 permanent staff expected.
- Experience working across the 6 geo-political zones of Nigeria on large scale studies of no less than 3000 sample size.
- Experience doing media and / or governance related surveys in Nigeria
- Experience working with international organizations (esp. in Nigeria)
Also note that if considered for selection:
- BBC Media Action team is very likely to visit the agency office on a verification exercise before commissioning.
- Agency will be required for physical meetings / presentations / demonstration of expertise at BBC Media Action office in Abuja. Costs (of travel etc) will be borne by agency.
Deadline for submission of Proposals Responding to Full RFP:
By Close of Business 17th October 2014.