Request for Expressions of Interest for Grant Manual Consultant at Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITN) Growth & Employment (GEM) Project
Credit No. NG-4882
Grant Manual Consultant Request For Expressions Of Interest
The Federal Government of Nigeria has received financing from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Growth and Employment (GEM) Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The consulting services are Grant Manual Advisory Services. The Advisers to be selected are required to assist GEM Project in the preparation of a Grant Manual required for effective management of the grant scheme programme during project implementation. Below are details of the assignment
The objective of this assignment is to prepare Grants Manual (GM) that wiil be used by FMITI/FPIU and any prospective beneficiary of a grant awarded under the GEM Project. The manual will establish the procedures, controls and criteria required to solicit, award and manage grants under this Project. When completed, the manual will enable the FPIU to manage grants efficiently, and ensure that the grants achieve their planned purpose, and are not misused in anyway
Scope of Work:
The GEM project will deliver a number of grant schemes targeting different industry clusters and different types of enterprise. The clusters will include Entertainment, ICT Hospitality, Light Manufacturing and Construction. The focus will be on supporting innovative business models that will deliver income increases, employment, and productivity gains that can be replicated across the cluster. Grants will also be awarded to institutions to support sub-projects in support of the GEM objectives. Different sets of procedures will need to be developed for three types of grant:
- Start up and micro business expansion grants, with no matching funding expected.
- SME business innovation grants, with matching funding requirements,
- Grants to institutions or businesses for sub-projects in support of GEM objectives.
Grants of type 1 and 2 will be disbursed by means of open competition. Procedures/eligibility/award criteria may vary depending on the cluster Grants of type 3 will be disbursed both through open competition and through direct invitations to apply. Grants systems will build on the systems created and lessons learned through the ongoing You WIN business plan competition project supported by the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Finance, DFID and the World Bank, and the Challenge Fund developed by the GEMS 2 Construction project,
The Consultant will be required to prepare a manual that will include but not limited to the following:
- Establish the economic objective, grant size ranges, and target beneficiary groups (by business type and size, location etc) for each grant type and each initial grant window.
- Establish standard and detailed criteria for grantee eligibility and detailed processes for each grant type for a) publicizing grant windows and soliciting applications, b) receiving applications, (c) evaluating applications and awarding grants, (d) disbursing grants, and (e) monitoring and evaluating grants.
- Set out how these grant systems will build on, and link to, the existing YouWIN scheme.
- Establish appropriate administrative deadlines for grant submission, review, notification and award of the grants to recipients.
- Develop compliance and termination procedure for grant beneficiaries and procedures required to return any grant funds found to be in breach of the terms of grant agreement.
- Establish standard and detailed criteria for evaluating and awarding grants of each type.
- Establish the responsibilities of grant beneficiaries including their management and reporting of grants received. Establish procedures for dealing with a grantee found to be in defauit of grant provisions.
- Describe all other aspects of the grants program including procedures for making adjustments to the manual.
The FMITI now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
Selection of Consultant:
The prospective Consultant should submit Expression of Interest detailing the following information as basis for pre-qualification:
- Profile of firm including ownership structure with full contact details.
- Details of direct experience in preparing grant manual for government or private sector.
- Evidence of grant scheme design and administration with dates and names of organization.
- Evidence of grant scheme financial management and disbursement with dates names and Organization.
- Experience and knowledge of grant administration and project management under the World Bank or any donor agency.
- Experience working in Nigeria and/or sub-Saharan Africa.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrower, Revised January 2011A firm will be selected under Consultants Qualifications (CQ) method in accordance with the procedures set out in the guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultant under IBRD Loans and IDA credits by World Bank Borrower, January 2011. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 0900 to 1600 Monday through Friday except public holidays.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
Expressions of Interest shall be in and must be submitted in five (5) hard copies (one original and four copies plus one CD Rom), in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Expression of Interest for Grant Manual Consultant” must be delivered to the address below in person or by courier mail or E-mail not later than Friday. October 17, 2014.
Growth and Employment (GEM) Project
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
Block G, Room 225
Old Federal Secretariat
Area 1, Garki
Tel: +234 8039 265 356 or +234 8057 763 523
Only short-listed Consultants will be contacted.