Request for Expressions of Interest for a Qualified Advisor to Enhance Sectorial Policies of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) at The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI)
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI)
Growth & Employment (Gem) Project – Credit No. Ng- 4882
Benchmarking International Industrial Development Initiatives for Key Sectors of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan
Request for Expressions of Interest
The Federal Government of Nigeria has received financing from the world Bank towards the implementation of the Growth and Employment (GEM) Project, and intends to apply part of the credit for the appointment of a qualified Advisor to enhance sectorial policies of the Nigeria industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP). This is a Technical Advisory project which will evaluate emerging and successful trends in target countries to fast-track development of key Industrial sectors.
The project objective of this assignment is to evaluate the status of key physical industrial Zones in the country. The overall goal of this assignment is to develop a road map for addressing the needs of companies in specific industrial Zones. This will be done on an initial list of 8 States. The project will involve.
(i) Site visits to map out and identify the three largest industrial clusters in each State.
(ii) Identifying the status and key constraints affecting all businesses within those clusters.
(iii) Provide an initial list of possible interventions to improve operations for all companies in the physical clusters
(v) Segment interventions into (a) Low investment interventions (e.g. changes to administrative procedures etc), and (b) Capital intensive interventions (e.g. constructing shared assets)
The Consultant should demonstrate the ability to identify specific physical clusters in different parts of the country.
Scope of Work
The Consultant(s) to be engaged will support the FPI.U in the effective execution and coordination of the Project. Each consultant must specify a specific zonal expertise (i.e. North East, North West, North Central, South Zest, South East, South South), around which the capabilities will be assessed. The regional focus has been adopted to ensure sufficient depth in engaging small businesses across the country, taking into consideration the peculiarities of the sectorial and operational peculiarities of the various parts of Nigeria. The firm through a resident Lead Technical Advisor will provide implementation support services, training and industry specific which include but not limited to:
(i) Identifying key Industrial Zones in 7 States. This will include:
- A shortlist of 7 States for this phase of the program. The States will be selected to include Lagos State, as well as 6 other States (one from each of the geo-political Zones in Nigeria). The Zone Assessment Provider will identify only the top 3 Zones in each Sate selected.
(ii) Listing of key Establishments in the Zones
- Identification of the largest establishments in each Zone (Company, Sector, a measure of size). This will provide a sense of sectorial concentrations within each of the Industrial Zones identified for this assessment. It will also reveal opportunities for linkage programs with small businesses, or other adjacent industries within the Zone.
(iii) Zone Facility Assessment. This will include:
- Evaluate the current State of facilities infrastructure within the zones. This will include access to – Power, Major Transport routes, internal road network, and proximity to Ports
(iv) Opportunities to Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises in ones. This will include:
- A high level assessment of the needs of large establishments in the identified Zones. This should reveal the level of sectorial concentrations in key Industrial Zones and opportunities created for small businesses to integrate into the supply chains of the entire Zone.
The Federal Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment (FMITI) now invite eligible Firms (“the Consultant”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Companies should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services
Submission of Expressions of Interest (EOIs):
Prospective consultants should submit their Expressions of Interest detailing the following information as basis for pre-qualification:
- Profile of firm/consortium including ownership structure and role of each corporate entity with full contact details of each firm.
- Proven Track records of senior expertise in the areas of Industrial development with at least 5 years of working in National Industrial development.
- Details of direct work experience in at least one of the sectors listed.
- Evidence of excellent administrative skills relating to large complex cluster development projects.
- Proof of competence in establishing strong partnerships with the public and private sector
- Knowledge of strategy development tools with analytical and management skills.
Preference will be given to experience/expertise in:
- Project and consultant management.
- Experience starting businesses in Nigeria.
- Gender and social development within development projects.
- Personal knowledge/networks of industry in Nigeria, and a working knowledge of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP)
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrower, Revised January 2011. Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications. A firm will be selected in accordance with the Consultants Qualification Selection (CQS) Method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 9,00 am to 4.00 pm, Monday through Friday (except public holidays) from the Project Coordinator, Tel: +2348039265356 or +2348057763523
Expressions must be submitted in five (5) hard copies (one original and four copies plus one CD Rom), in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Expression of Interest For Benchmarking International Industrial Development Initiatives for Key Sectors of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan ” to the address below in person or by courier mail not later than Monday, December 15th 2014.
Growth and Employment (GEM) Project
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
Block G, Room 225
Old Federal Secretariat Area 1, Garki Abuja
Tel: +2348039265356 or +2348057763523
- Submission shall be in English language only
- Submission through electronic media shall be rejected; and
- Submission received after the deadline shall be rejected
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.