Pre-qualification of Farmers Interested in leasing Farmland under Azare-Jere Irrigation Project in the Gurara Phase I Multi-purpose Dam, Kaduna State
Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR)
In Line with Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) Act 2005 and the National Policy on Public Private Partnership (N4P)
Pre-qualification of Farmers Interested in leasing farmland under Azare-Jere Irrigation Project in the Gurara Phase I Multi-purpose Dam, Kaduna State
Request for Expression of Interest (EOI)-Extension of Closing Date
As part of the Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government, the Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR) is interested in leasing farmland from the Azare-Jere Irrigation Project under the Gurara Phase 1 Multi-purpose Dam to effectively operate and manage the existing irrigation system, create jobs and enhance food security.
The Gurara Phase I Multi-Purpose Dam has a reservoir of 880million cubic meters with a capacity to supply raw water to the FCT, generate 30 MW hydropower, irrigation, and aquaculture activities. The dam is fully equipped for full operation of the Azare-Jere Irrigation project, which has been completed with the installation of a center pivot system.
The Federal Ministry of Water Resources invites interested Commercial Farmers to express interest in a Lease Contract towards carrying out the following activities.
- Utilize the irrigation infrastructure in carrying out farming activities.
- Operate and maintain the irrigation infrastructure, including the secondary and tertiary pipelines within the farm, and the center pivot systems.
- Make contributions for the maintenance of associated infrastructure; including roads, primary pipelines, etc.
- Make the required payment for the use of water in form of water charges for carrying out irrigation activities; and
- Other value additions over the whole life cycle of agricultural activities.
The Lessee may consist of a commercial farmer or consortium of farmers, with the necessary financial and technical competences to carry out farming activities on at least 120Ha of irrigated farmland. In case of a consortium, evidence in form of an agreement must be shown to support the proposed partnership with clarity on the members. There must be a lead firm or farmer, who will have the primary responsibility of liaising with the Ministry for managing the inputs from the consortium.
Submission of Expressions of Interest (EOI)
Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from prospective Commercial Farmer or Consortium of Farmers must clearly indicate the following:
- Full name and nationality (country of registration of the company).
- Profile of firm/consortium including ownership structure and role of each corporate entity with full contact details including phone numbers and email of lead farmers/firms.
- Evidence of partnership in case of a consortium of farmers.
- Evidence of track record of successfully carrying out irrigation farming activities and managing irrigation infrastructure.
- Evidence of availability or access to farm equipment.
- Evidence of adequate financial resources to carry out the intended farming activities.
- Evidence of Tax Clearance Certificate for 2011, 2012 & 2013 from the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) from the farmer or any member of the consortium; and Submission of three (3) years Audited Accounts for the last three years (2011, 2012 and 2013).
The firm will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the guidelines for procurement of services under the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP).
Expressions of Interest must be submitted in six (6) copies (one original & five copies) in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Expression of Interest for the Leasing of Azara-Jere Irrigation Project.
Submission of EOIs Originally Scheduled for 3.00 pm., on 21st August 2014 has been extended to 3.00pm., on 4th September, 2014 to the address below:
Water Sector Reform and PPP Unit
Federal Ministry of Water Resources
20, Lingu Crescent, Off Aminu Kano Crescent
Wuse 2, Abuja – Nigeria
All EOIs will be opened immediately after the deadline in the PPP Unit’s Conference Room of the above address, in the presence of all interested firms that choose to attend.
Please note that:
- Only shortlisted firms will be invited for further consideration.
- Late submission will be rejected.
- This advertisement shall not be construed as a commitment on the part of FMWR to appoint any firm nor shall it entitle any firm submitting documents to claim any indemnity.
- FMWR reserves the right to take final decision on any of the document received in the EoI.
- Interested applicants may obtain further information at the address above from 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday through Friday (except public holidays).
- Expression of Interest through email or fax will not be accepted
- All submissions must be made in English Language.
Baba Umar Faruk, OON