Call for Expression of Interest for Solar Distributors and Consumer Financiers to Pre-Qualify for the Supply and Financing of Small Solar Energy Systems in Northern States of Nigeria by SolarNigeria Programme (SNP)
Call for Expression of Interest
For Solar Distributors and Consumer Financiers to Pre-Qualify for the Supply and Financing of Small Solar Energy Systems in Northern States of Nigeria
The SolarNigeria Programme (SNP) is an initiative of the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). It aims to scale the public and private markets for distributed solar energy in Nigeria. SNP has many components. Together they will overcome barriers and help to grow the solar market, increasing demand from households, businesses and public institutions. An important overall priority for DFID is to support the development of states in northern Nigeria, and in particular to increase access to electricity.
The Expression of Interest (EOI) advertised here is to pre-qualify Solar Distributors, Solar Products, and providers of Consumer Finance, to participate in the Consumer Pilot component. The Consumer Pilot aims to help household consumers in northern states of Nigeria to better access small solar powered lighting and power systems for their homes. Solar can be cheaper over time than kerosene lanterns or generators but costs more initially to buy. The Consumer Pilot will offer Capacity Grants to encourage solar vendors to enter the market and quickly build their capabilities to serve these consumers at scale. It will offer Financing Grants to mobilise consumer finance for Small Solar in ways that are commercially attractive for financiers and attractive to consumers.
Under the Consumer Pilot, grant recipients will be selected in a two-step process;
(1) Pre-qualification of Solar Products, Solar Distributors, Solar System Designers and Installers, and Financiers,
(2) Application for grants.
This EOI therefore invites applications from the following;
- Solar Distributors (or manufacturers) to pre-qualify their company and products in the following categories
- Plug and Play solar lighting systems up to 10Wp
- Plug and Play solar home systems between 10Wp and 100Wp
- Solar system designers and installers to pre-qualify their company and products in the category of Component based solar home systems between 100Wp and 15,000Wp.
- Financiers interested in providing finance to consumers to access any of the solar products qualified under this programme.
Please note that because the Consumer Pilot is at the stage of Concept Design, the description and timelines in the EOI are indicative only. SNP does not bind itself, DFID or other programme partners by this notice or the EOI to any particular programme design or delivery.
Responses to the EOI will need to be received by 24th August 2015.
For a copy of the EOI, please email email@example.com and reference ‘EOI for Consumer Pilot’ in the subject heading.