Addendum; Request for Expressions of Interest for Benchmarking International Industrial Development Initiatives for Key Sectors of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan
Addendum in Respect of Request for Expressions of Interest for Benchmarking International Industrial Development Initiatives for Key Sectors of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan
This Advert is an Addendum to the Earlier Advert Placed on Monday November 24, 2014 for the Above by the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment (FMITI)
Growth & Employment (GEM) Project – Credit No, NG- 4882
The Federal Government of Nigeria has received financing from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Growth and Employment (GEM) Project, and intends to apply part of the credit for the appointment of a qualified Advisor to enhance sectorial policies of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP). This is a Technical Advisory project which will evaluate emerging and successful trends in target countries to fast-track development of key Industrial sectors.
Objective of the Assignment
The project objective is to itemize and evaluate what global leaders have done in key Industrial sectors, with a view to using this as input into ongoing sectorial policies being developed by the Nigeria government. The Nigeria industrial revolution plan (NIRP) is Nigeria’s roadmap to diversify its economy, boost value-addition, and accelerate job creation. The NIRP has identified four industry groups as areas of comparative advantage which can be leveraged upon to accelerate national industrialization. The four industry groups are – Agro Allied and Agro Related Industries; Solid Minerals Processing and Metals related industries; Oil and Gas Related Industrial Activities; and Construction and Services.
The overall goal of this assignment is to benchmark proven practices applied by global market leaders in key sectors, which will serve as fundamental inputs in the sectorial policies that are currently being developed. This exercise should be focused on providing factual information, and state clearly the policies applied by these leading countries. The varying views that may exist on whether these policies were successful or not, should also be provided as they are, which will enrich the breadth of ongoing considerations in the sectorial policy developments.
The sectorial policies to be reviewed internationally will include:
(i) Beverages and processed drinks.
(ii) Packaged Foods.
(iii) Rubber Products and Tyres.
(v) Palm Oil products
(vi) Housing Construction
(vii) Call Centers
The Consultant should demonstrate the ability to source national policies on Industrial/Service sector development evaluate actions taken by key countries, and reach conclusions of policy imperatives
Scope of Services:
The Consultant(s) to be engaged will support the Project and through a resident Lead Technical Advisor provide implementation support services, training and industry specific activities that include but not limited to the following:
(i) Identifying global leaders in the identified sectors. This will include:
- At least 4 top global leaders for each sector; (to include the 2 best globally, and at 2 leading emerging or developing country players). The objective is to map the policies of countries with largest output in strategic sectors of the NIRP, and provide Nigeria with a baseline to define its own policies.
- Map out the output levels and trends. This will help to assess the overall growth of the specific NIRP sector within the country of focus. Specifically, to highlight the decade when rapid growth was achieved in the specific sector (and any implied global contexts to consider).
(ii) Listing largest players in each country (for the sectors identified)
- Identify the top 2 private sector players in each industrial sector that can include both private and government enterprises.
- Develop a high level profile for each company that also include a brief profile of these leading companies, the history, evolution, size, international footprint, and investment outlay.
(iii) Summary of Policy thrusts in each country (for each sector identified). This should be assessed and categorized along the following lines:
- Market Development (local demand side interventions, export strategy etc) – This includes the actions taken to stimulate domestic demand, or to boost exports.
- Fiscal regime – This includes the strategies adopted on duties for each country in the specific sector
- Infrastructure (sector specific and general infrastructure) – This includes the sector specific infrastructural interventions of the leading countries. This should include any interventions in Industrial Parks, Roads, Ports etc
- Funding/Financing Interventions – This includes strategies adopted to mobilize capital and investments into the sector identified.
- Skills – This includes the policies adopted to provide adequate skills to provide labor to support the sector
- Technology and Innovation – This includes policies adopted to facilitation technology adoption, dispersal and enhancement
- Product Standards – This includes policies adopted to enhance product standards within the sector
- Regulatory and Administrative guidelines – This includes policies adopted to streamline specific regulations to reduce regulatory burdens per sector
- Investment Promotion – This includes any strategies adopted to boos domestic and international investments into the target sectors
- Any other material policy actions taken to develop the sector
The Federal Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment (FMITI) now invite eligible Firms (“the Consultant”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Companies should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services
Submission of Expressions of Interest (EOIs):
Prospective consultants should submit their Expressions of Interest detailing the following information as basis for pre-qualification:
- Profile of firm/consortium including ownership structure and role of each corporate entity with full contact details of each firm.
- Proven/Track records of senior expertise in the areas of Industrial development with at least 5 years of working in National Industrial development.
- Details of direct work experience in at least one of the sectors listed.
- Evidence of excellent administrative skills relating to large complex cluster development projects.
- Proof of competence in establishing strong partnerships with the public and private sector
- Knowledge of strategy development tools with analytical and management skills.
Preference will be given to experience/expertise in:
- Project and consultant management;
- Experience starting businesses in Nigeria
- gender and social development within development projects;
- Personal knowledge/networks of industry in Nigeria, and a working knowledge of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP)
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrower, Revised January 2011. Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications, A firm will be selected in accordance with the Consultants Qualification Selection (CQS) Method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 9.00 am to 4.00 pm, Monday through Friday (except public holidays) from the Project Coordinator, Tel: +2348039265356 or +2348057763523
Expressions must be submitted in five (5) hard copies (one original and four copies plus one CD Rom), in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Expression of Interest For Benchmarking International Industrial Development Initiatives for Key Sectors of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan “to the address below in person or by courier mail not later than Wednesday. December 17th 2014.
Growth and Employment (GEM) Project
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
Block G, Room 225
Old Federal Secretariat
Area 1, Garki
Tel: +2348039265356 or +2348057763523
Interested Applicants should note that:
- Submission shall be in English language only
- Submission through electronic media shall be rejected; and
- Submission received after the deadline shall be rejected
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted