Invitation for Consultancy Services for Lagos Baseline Survey on USAID-LOPIN-Asamihas Project at Association for Reproductive and Family Health (ARFH)
Invitation for Consultancy Services for Lagos Baseline Survey on USAID-LOPIN-Asamihas Project
Job Title: Baseline Survey Consultancy
Location: Lagos state
Duration of assignment: 21 working days spread out between 22nd December, 2014 and 15th February, 2015
Purpose of Assignment: The purpose of this assignment is to conduct a baseline assessment for the project to provide relevant baseline data against which the effects of project activities can be evaluated across 5 selected Local Government Areas (Agege, Kosofe, Ojo, Badagry and Ajeromi) of Lagos state. This is to establish a clear starting point for the ASAMIHAS/LOPIN project.
Association for Reproductive and Family Health (ARFH) is a leading indigenous not-for-profit, nongovernmental organization established in Nigeria in 1989 in response to the health and social needs of the disadvantaged groups in rural and urban communities. ARFH is committed to improving the quality of the life of the people in Nigeria and elsewhere in sub-Sahara Africa, Since its inception, ARFH has consistently responded to the public health challenges including HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria, maternal mortality and morbidity and sexual and reproductive health problems in Nigeria.
ARFH has just been awarded a USAID grant to implement a 5- year (2014- 2019) family-centred Local Partners for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (LOPIN) Project titled “Accelerated and Sustainable Approach to Mitigate Impact of HIV/AIDS on Children and Caregivers (ASAMIHAS)” in selected states in the country, including Lagos State. The project in Lagos aims at expanding access to sustainable care and support services to 151,300 OVCs and 6050 households over 5 years.
ARFH is inviting applications from consultancy groups/firms to carry out a comprehensive baseline assessment for the project, on a short term basis.
Methodology for Baseline survey
A mix-method approach and methodology will be used to gather key data in order to inform program implementation. The methodologies will include; desk review, key informant interviews, and household survey using structured questionnaires. And any other methodologies proposed by the consultant and approved by DM&E.
The aim and objectives of the baseline survey;
(1) Document and assess the extent of community responses and interventions to OVC
(2) Examine the capacity of Community, LGAs and State to provide quality response to OVC by reason of HIV/AIDS
(3) Determine the quality of service delivered by the Community Based Organizations (CBOs), LGAs and State
(4) Determine the economic capabilities of households with OVC to meet basic needs
(5) Assess the child protection and safeguarding practices of caregivers of OVC
(6) Examine the level of private sectors in proving OVC services
(7) Assess response of caregivers to OVC with HIV/AIDS
(8) Collect key data on the objectives and expected results.
Scope of assignment and specific tasks (Consultants’ Role)
The consultant medical statistician working with Director Monitoring and Evaluation of the USAID-LOPIN-ASAMIHAS project will be responsible for the following:
- Review the methodology of this baseline survey and make recommendations;
- Implement the sampling strategy for the baseline survey as detailed in the survey protocol;
- Review survey tools to ensure that the data collected will adequately satisfy the research questions and provide the relevant baseline data against which the effects of project activities can be evaluated across the 5 selected LGAs (Agege, Kosofe, Ojo, Badagry and Ajeromi) in Lagos state
- Engage stakeholders in the assessment process;
- Participate actively in the recruitment of the interviewers Training of survey interviewers and deployment for field operations Pilot testing of survey data collection tools
- Implement data collection for the baseline survey;
- Data analysis including cleaning, sorting, and formation of dummy tables
- Report writing and final dissemination; develop and present a draft baseline report to ASAMIHAS/LOPIN team and other stakeholders
- Produce a report covering key findings, major conclusions and recommendations (including credible indicators and the setting of a baseline to measure progress) in order to help inform the development of the program.
The consultant demographer will work with the Community Based Organizations (CBO) and Community Volunteers (CV) to identify, and define the baseline priority areas. He/she will also lead the mapping of selected households and produce a listing of these households to be used for the survey. The demographer will assist the interviewers in locating these households during the household survey.
Duration & Deadlines (Tentatively)
The duration of the contract will be a total period of 21 working days starting from December 19th, 2015, with approximately 10 working days in field, and will be spread out until middle of February 2015.
- The consultants will be expected to submit a draft workplan due by December 22nd, 2014,
- First draft of assessment due by January 26th, 2015,
- Final receipt of all deliverables due by February 10th, 2015.
Only consultants located in Nigeria are prioritised for this assignment as ARFH will not cover international travel costs for external consultants. The following qualifications and skills will guide selection of the consultants for this assignment:
(1) Interested persons must have cognate experience in development, implementation and assessment of public health interventions with evident capacity in conducting baseline assessments, surveys for health-related projects using qualitative and quantitative methods.
(2) The consultant who must be a medical statistician/demographer for this assignment must have a minimum of:
- Master’s degree in Medical Statistics/Demography/Epidemiology
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in designing and analysing quantitative and qualitative surveys.
- An excellent analytical and research skills with demonstrated technical report writing skill
- Experience with HIV prevention, care and treatment programs.
- Knowledge of OVC data collection and analysis will be an advantage
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2014
Method of Application
Interested and qualified consultants/consultancy firm should send in a complete application comprising of a technical proposal and a detailed budget. All Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com as well as a mail package and addressed to:
The Chief of Party, ASAMIHAS
ARFH HOUSE, Plot 815A, Army Officers’ Mess Road, Near Ikolaba Grammar School,
Agodi G.R.A., Ikolaba, Ibadan
P.O. Box 30259 Secretariat, Ibadan,
Oyo State, Nigeria
Applicant organizations MUST indicate on the Subject of the mail (ASAMIHAS/LOPIN BASELINE ASSESSMENT CONSULTANCY)
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted